Friday, May 11, 2007

Think like a dog

As I sit here...in the dining room...in front of my laptop...trying to wrap up a bit of work while also doing my "fun" computer stuff like catching up on blogs...I see my dog Sadie staring at me while she lays on an armchair in the adjoining living room. I'm guessing that the thoughts running through her head are something like this:

"What is she doing over there with that silly thing? I have this great red ball that we can play with, why isn't she over here playing with me? Why isn't she over here rubbing me? You know you love to do that, why not come here and run your hands over me, petting and rubbing and scratching?"

Now her eyes are slowly closing, and I know she knows it's nearly time to go to bed. That's what she's trying to tell me in this minute, "Let's go to bed and forget about that other stuff."

If I really listened to my dogs, here's what I think they'd tell me:
  • Live in the moment. Forget the concepts of "future" and "past." There is just NOW. Enjoy it. Endure it. Get through it, but take it all in, good and bad. Live it.
  • I deserve every bit of attention I can garner. Don't doubt that at all. If you can grab attention through some antic -- vocalization, movement, crowding -- grab it and enjoy it.
  • Take naps.
  • After laying down for a period of time, always stretch when you get up.
  • Although we don't speak the same "language," we can still communicate -- not just basic needs, but also what's important to each of us : in other words, our "values." Which leads to my final lesson...
  • Listen and intuit with your entire being. That's the way to connect to others, to life, and to find enjoyment in the now.

No comments: