Tuesday, November 29, 2005

Thinking

I've been thinking about blogs lately. Yesterday, I was catching up at work on my reading, most of which is online articles. And, I digressed into reading a bit about blogs. I ran across this article, What's a Blog?, on the Typepad site. I'll metaphorically pause here for a few minutes while you read it.

Yeah, that beginning about macrame and kitchsy '70's crafts really threw me at first, too, but I think it makes a valid point: good blogs have their own voice.

In thinking about this and what it means to me, a neophyte blogger, I've come to the conclusion that I just haven't developed my "voice" yet.

So, what's the big deal? Nothing. There is no big deal. But that's my point: it's not a big deal, so there's no reason to sweat it.

At Snb tonight, the subject of blogs came up briefly and one of the folks commented that my blog isn't updated very often, and that when it is the entries are too long. OK, interesting point, and likely a valid one, too.

I blog when I can squeeze the time in, and unfortunately that's not really often. Anyway, one other thought I've had about blogging is this: the best bloggers, those that blog every day and have interesting things to say, all have wireless Internet.

I don't have (working) wireless Internet at home. Yeah, I have a laptop, but it might as well be a huge, clunky desktop 'cause I'm stuck at a desk in one room of my house with one loooonnnngggg cable running across the room to the router. A few months ago I gave up on trying to rouse my husband's interest in figuring out why the wireless access point won't work, even in the same room. A few weeks ago, I found myself obsessed with this issue and tried to figure it out for myself. Now I'm a couple phone calls away from getting it fixed.

Phone call #1 will be to Linksys tech support who will hopefully be able to tell me why the firmware won't update. If this fails, then...

Phone call #2 will be to the Geek Squad to come over to my house and make the damn wireless work.

Then, I'll be able to roam around and freely blog in every room of my house whenever I feel like it. Wow. Think of the possibilities...

P.S. Is this a nice, short post?

3 comments:

Yarnsnob said...

Yea for the short post, but where's the knitting?

Schecki said...

Maybe yours leans towards more of a journal than a blog. The blogs I like best are the ones that have meaty entries. Post what you like when you like, really. People aren't paying you for the free entertainment you provide. If they don't like it, they don't have to read it.

Trope said...

Whatever. Now that I've discovered the magic of the RSS feed, you can update as much or as rarely as you like, and I'll still find you when you get online. Whee! My online life is about to be changed. :)
I think you get bonus points for being a frame-breaking journal-blog-essayist, though it may not win you many points with the knitting folks. We can't have everything.

PS This is Elizabeth from SNB, in my online alias.