Monday, January 02, 2006

Welcome 2006

I've been feeling very overwhelmed the last few months, which is why I haven't put anything up here in a while. I've found it challenging enough just to get through each day and get ready to tackle the next one.

So, it has been a fabulous treat to spend last 10 days at leisure (for the most part). I'm never happy sitting still and completely vegetating, so I squeezed in some home chores during this time. I cooked a lot. I made big pots of soups and stews, setting aside portions in the freezer for later meals. I cleared up my desk a bit (just a bit) by doing some filing and shredding. And, I got the wireless networking working. Whoohoo!!

Technically, I didn't get the wireless networking working, Joe from the Geek Squad did. But, I did make the arrangements and I also bought the new wireless equipment.

You'd think I would be all excited about getting the wireless working and would be roaming the house with my laptop. But, that hasn't been the case. I've actually avoided the laptop during this time off. I've been afraid to approach it and get sucked into checking my work email account. Now I'm afraid of what I'll get tomorrow when I go to the office and log in for the first time in 10 days. Seriously afraid.

Anyway, I don't want to think about work right now. I want to reflect on the wonderful knitting I've been doing since I last posted.

Finished Object #1: The baby sweater


baby sweaterThis is the baby sweater that I was whining about in mid-November. I finally made it to the fabric store and got the buttons and some grosgrain ribbon. I used the sewing machine to attach the grosgrain ribbon to the inside of the button band, and then attached the buttons. This is a first for me. I'm not that handy with a sewing machine yet, but it worked out pretty well. And, I do like how the ribbon helps anchor the buttons.

Finished object #2: MIL's Faroese-style Shawl

Faroese-style shawl I've already posted a photo of this, but not while it was being modeled by the recipient. Lillian really likes the shawl and it looks so great on her, that I wanted to record it.

Finished Object #3: Lotus Blossom Shawl

Lotus Blossom ShawlMy really big project this fall was completing this shawl. I wanted to make a shawl to wear at my work holiday party. I had the yarn (some fingering/sock yarn from Tess' Designer Yarns), but I was having trouble finding a pattern to work with. I think the Lotus Blossom was the third pattern I'd tried. I was having too much trouble with the first two I tried, but the Lotus Blossom worked out great. And I finished it in time. I love this shawl!

Finished Objects #4-9: Knitted Roses

knitted roses
It seems like I made a dozen of these, but I think I really only made 5 of them. I used the pattern in the Vogue Knitting 2005 holiday edition to make up the roses (out of Lion Brand Suede, nonetheless) and then hand-sewed pin backings on each one. I gave a rose to each of my twin aunts, my mother-in-law, my sister-in-law, and my niece. I think they'll make nice adornments for their winter coats or on a purse, etc.

Miscellaneous finished objects: I finished the socks that I photographed a few weeks ago and the slippers for my nephew. I also made myself a pair of slippers, since Hannah chewed a hole in my winter slippers last year.

I'm still working on the Katrina Rib sweater. Despite the fact that I've had 10 days off of work, I haven't gotten a lot of knitting done during this time. In fact, I'm still sort of in a knitting deficit right now. I've got a slipper for Mark on the needles right now, and a swatch for some gloves I promised my stepfather.

Well, it's back to work and commuting tomorrow, so I'll resume my dedicated knitting time each day.

Happy new year to all!

No comments: