Monday, February 27, 2006

Loser?

The Knitting Olympics closed yesterday. I hate to admit it, but I guess I'm a non-qualifier. To be perfectly honest, I probably don't even rate a Bronze medal. See, here's where my project was near the end of the closing ceremonies.

Unfinished gloves
Notice all those ends waiting to be woven in? And you can't see all the holes between the fingers that need darning.

I suppose if I stayed up late last night and completed all that finishing, I could fudge it a bit and say I completed my Olympic project. But, I had an early start at the office today so I was a good girl and went to bed at a decent hour. (Tomorrow I have to be up at 5 AM. If I want to get a solid 8 hours of sleep, I should be in bed right about now.)

No doubt about it, work seriously cut into my knitting time last week. Don't take this for whining; it's not whining, I'm just stating a fact. (You try being at the office for 12-14 hours per day and then see how much knitting time you can fit in.) I also made a decision to NOT push myself in working on my project Friday night or Saturday during the day or evening. Since I had been at the office so much last week, I needed to spend time with my husband and my pets. Spending time with them recharges me, and they deserve some of my time.

So, I guess I'm not an Olympic contender. But, I have a great relationship with my husband, my pets, and my friends, OK? (If this entry is starting to sound too saccharine, just hang with me.)

Speaking of friends, I watched the closing ceremony with Jamie, Rachael, and Shannon. Jamie finished her Olympic project: a Clapotis in Knit Picks Andean Silk (color = Lettuce). Jamie's Clapotis Doesn't she look smug, sitting there with her Clapotis around her neck? And look at Rachael smirking in the background. Rachael didn't even join the Olympics team. (Of course, having major surgery just before the opening ceremony probably rates an automatic honorary disqualification.) Shannon wisely stayed out of the way of the camera.

We had fun watching the bizzare closing ceremony and eating Jamie's homemade chili with Shannon's homemade cornbread. I attempted to amuse with my impression of a Russian ice dancer (just get in a squat position and spread your legs...pretty easy), followed later by my rendition of a snippet from the video for My Humps by the Black Eyed Peas.

What can I say: I really needed to unwind after a long week.

3 comments:

Trope said...

Whoo! I think the gloves are kind of sinister with their ends still unwoven; a "don't mess with me" sort of look. I think it counts; after all, the knitting is finished! (I'm a firm believer that sewing and end-tacking should take care of itself once the fun part is over. It hasn't ever happened yet, but I'll let you know.) Congrats to Jamie too, and it sounds like a great time!
--Elizabeth

Linda said...

Yeah, the gloves do look kind of creepy with the ends hanging down. But, there's a great tactile sensation from them, too. Dangly yarn ends feel kind of tickly on your face, and when the ends are attached to a glove, that makes it easy to wiggle the ends around and really tickle! (Can you tell I'm having fun with my projects these days?)

Valerie said...

"followed later by my rendition of a snippet from the video for My Humps by the Black Eyed Peas."

What I wouldn't give...:)